Quote:
Originally posted by george:
However ML’s comments about TF shad success in small ponds is questionable, however well intended, and should not discourage the small ponds owners from stocking TF shad when evaluated and recommended by a professional.
George,

I was simply stating what Bob told me when I asked him about stocking threadfin shad in my 4 acre pond which has very deep areas. I assume he would tell you and anyone else the same thing. He said he wouldn't even consider it, if he were me and further he told me what he thought about folks pushing that option in small ponds such as mine and smaller. That's what he told me, pure and simple. His reasoning wasn't about temperature as much as it was about having extensive deep areas for the threadfin to hide from predation in winter months. He said, and my limited experience agrees, that in the winter the theadfin move to the deep areas and in small ponds those areas are simply not extensive enough to offer shelter from LMB predation. I'm sure there are probably small pond exceptions.

I don't know the answer to the question as to whether it is worth the gamble or not in a small pond. I simply repeated what a respected pro told me in response to a question. It may work for some in small ponds and it may not. It would be nice if there was a study which would determine the probability of success/failure in small ponds, but the large number of variables make such studies difficult.

I do know first hand from two very expensive failures at trying to establish them (10,000 threadfin each attempt) that I will not try again and Bob's extensive experience may be worth noting.

I agree with DD that it is a risk decision...but wish that the risk was more quantified so we could all make the best decision for our respective situations.