Ok, so after about a year here on the forums, I just had someone ask me for advice on thier pond. What the hell was he thinking, I dunno.

So he has a big weed and algae problem in a ~4 acre pond in central MO with an average depth of 8ft across the majority of the pond. I've not seen it to tell you what kind of weeds it is, but the issue is what fish to stock to help control the aquatic vegetation. I suggested looking into chemical treatment, but all involved seemed to shy away from that idea.

I don't know the company they used to stock fish but apparently they gave 2 recomendations, grass carp or tilapia (tilapia are verocious weed eaters, aren't they?). The stocking company said carp was the way to go, since tilapia could take over the pond and would eat the eggs of other fish species.

Does this sound accurate to anyone? You all know i know very little to none of what i am talking about, but for some reason i had gotten the idea that tilapia would die off after a little while, since they are native to a more tropical climate than MO. So what's the deal? Anyone want to set me straight on this once and for all?

edit: already stocked are BG, LMB, Some large catfish and BC
pond was built by my friend's grandfather, roughly 40 years ago

Last edited by skinnybass; 07/07/10 07:31 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.