Originally Posted By: Mark Brown
Catmandoo,

Do you feed them or do they grow that size naturally? I just drained my pond and all the CC I bought from Zett's morphed into Brown Bullheads! 198 out of 200. Imagine that?

Hey Mark,

For much of the last year I've not been feeding everyday because I'm staying in an apartment near work during the week. But, I'm feeding at least three nights per week.

Interestingly, the feed I've been using for the past couple of years is both floating and sinking. I've been using Southern States Li'l Strike, which is a 36% protien 1/8-inch pellet. About 1/3 of the pellets sink soon after hitting the water. The bluegill, bass, and trout suck it off the top. The catfish seldom come to the top for it, but I know they are cleaning it off the bottom.

I suspect that most of the catfish nutrition comes from natural food inside the pond, and not the food I use.

That is unfortunate about your bullheads from Zetts. Have you talked to Andrew Zetts about it? I suspect the problem was due to inexperienced help. Everyone there is always very nice to me, but some of the younger guys wouldn't know a trout from a catfish.

I've bought channel cats from them a number of times, and have never had a problem. Only once have I bought small ones (4"). The rest of the time I've bought the 10-12 inch. With that size, there is no mistaking that they are channel cats.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!