I have seen it work great, and not work at all. There are certain applications also. If anyone says beneficial bacteria do not work in a biological filter they are wrong. And that is what you use. I also have bacteria in my tubs with gravel and rcok to grow on. They do keep some of the nutrients and algae in check with other methods. Now, the muckbuster and sludge eaters, boy, that is tough. I don't know if they are different strains, or they get overwhelmed and die or what, But I have stirred up the bottom, scratched the muck, used product exactly per manufacturers instructions and just shook my head, never seeing tangible results with periodic adds. At best, in my experience I would say results inconclusive. I mean, in a lab environment I guess you could have enough control to get measured results. I like it for plant eating, filtering, battling algae. I get results there, but I tried the sludge eaters and just would not go that route again. I'd rahter go plants that eat it, and then get rid of them if I had to. As far as how often, it should say right on the package, both dosage and frequency. I think it is every two weeks. 8 lbs per surface acre initially, 4 lbs every two weeks after.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 06/13/10 02:42 PM.