I'm terribly fustrated with an algea problem. I've mentioned in other post that my 1 acre(average 4' depth)pond has been basically dormant for several years covered in a thick layer of Duckweed. My theory is that the duckweed allowed a muck of debris and leaves to build up in my pond. When I killed the duckweed last year I just added more debris to the compost heap already present in my pond.
My real problems began when I added my diffusers, a Vertex 1plus with two diffuser heads. On the days of intermittent use during the start up sequence you could smell the gases being pushed up from the bottom. Once the unit was running 24/7 I had horrible planktonic algae blooms and filamentous algae blooms all summer. The store I purchased my aerator from said it was normal for a pond to go through the "Ugly Duck" phase after initial startup.
As soon as the water warmed up this spring the FA came back, I have added "Beneficial Bacterias", Dyes, Copper Based algaecides and I have skimmed. Bacteria and dyes showed no results, I think these are more of a preventative than a cure. Skimming stirred up the mud and I added 480#s of gypsum to get it to settle. Latest algaecide was Cutrine 1 gals sprayed around the edge of pond 3 times. I spray half of pond and wait a week and any algea that has died the first couple of days after spraying has came back before the week is up. It's a neverending circle. I'm spraying the same half over and over. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've read archives until my head hurts. If left alone would the FA eventually eat itself out of house and home, so to speak? Should I use more Cutrine? Will the aerators allow me to spray full dose on whole pond without a fish kill?

Sorry it's so long, I wanted to explain it clearly.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus