Bruce :

Thanks for the additional info on BG/RE cross. I think you are correct in your assessment that they may get large. We catch about 1 or 2 of these crosses a year.

In our ponds the RE appear to spawn twice { march and april full moon if temp. is ok} while the BG spawn 4 or 5 times { april-aug.}. Sometimes the april spawn is accompanied by heavy rain/muddy water. I think this is the cause of the crosses. All of the crosses I have seen/caught were about 50 % larger than the large BG in the pond. Most were in the 12 inch/ 1.5 lb range. One in particular looked like a dinner plate { 13 in. and 2+ lbs.}. It was the largest lepomis I have seen. However it was not even close to the state {Miss.) records for BG {3.45 lbs }or RE {3.33 lbs.}. The coloration on all was similar and what you would expect from a BG/RE cross - mixed up and with characteristics of both. Silver/pale green with muted BG colors , no verticle bars but with a BG ear flap and body shape , but spotted pattern like a RE. I did not check to see if any had the mouth { crusher } of a RE.

Thanks -- ewest