Hey Folks, I am in need of opinions on placement of the flow-through pipes I need to install on a beaver dam on my property that will allow excess water that is not flowing through my hydro turbine to escape and yet not allow fish out or be easy for the beavers to dam again. (Any beavers that make it past me that is).

I am leaning towards 3 x 12" pipes with the inside the dam end cut at an angle with say 1" mesh over the inlets, and some kind of flip up design of said screen so I can 'easily' remove leaves/stick etc.
So the inlet end would be flush to the desired water surface height inside the dam and angled down to flow out the bottom of the dam on the downstream side. My concern is largely about ICE shifting the works. I would put the inlet at the bottom of the pond but them I lose water height control and it easier for the beavers. Any suggestions based on my crappy description and even crappier picture?

Thanks.

Last edited by Pottsy; 04/26/10 02:01 PM.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!