My pond is just shy of an acre. 10' deepest part about 20% of the pond. The rest is about 6'. I have menbrane diffuser at 10' and one I move from 6' to 3' in the fall. I only run the 3' in the winter. It will put a 40' hole in the ice all winter. Thats only running the pump 6 hrs a day. 3 times for 2 hours. 11 pm to 1 am , 4 am to 6 am , 2 pm to 4 pm. Problem running the pump 24 hours is $ , about $25 a month. At 6 hours its somewhere in the $7 to $8 a month. Beats shoveling snow. You have to play with your times. Of course at night its alot colder , so you want move movement. I'm running a 1/4 hp Gast rotary vane 220v pump. Had go 220v because of the distance from the house for power , about 900'. I ran 240v to the pond. Lost 10v to resistance. So at the pump hook up theres 230v. Start up was a concern. The 220v draws lot less amps. So had no problem. I used rebar 3/8" 20' long and tywrapped it to the 1/2" poly and all the way to the diffuser plate. Sent my kid down to make sure they were laying flat. Pump is about 6' from the pond under a fake rock. Been there 7 or 8 years , no problem. Just have to clean the air filter twice a year. I do drop a few drops of syn oil into the vanes every year. I all so took one leg of the 220v for a 110v line for tools or a light to fish at night. I bought the complete kit at Stoney Creek for $600 included shipping. I see now its around $800. Also on e-Bay theres a guy selling the same pump for $100. I bought one as a spare. The vanes are more then $50.

Last edited by ken; 04/10/10 06:48 PM.

i only wanted to have some fun