Originally Posted By: LR Bob
If the starter kit is the only option what extra precautions do you suggest I take from now until I introduce the micro population to the unit?

The only thing I can think of is to try attracting them even if you're getting a kit. The sooner you can attract a wild population the better. At the moment I have several buckets in different spots for that reason. In the buckets I have two things; whole dry corn kernels and water. I'm keeping the water level a few inches below the top of the corn. I've used cornmeal as an attractant in the past but someone suggested whole corn to me and I think it will be easier to work with. As the corn ferments it's giving off a smell that I think the BSF will respond to. If you have a way to keep critters out of the corn you wouldn't need a cover. A little rain will just replenish the water as it evaporates.

I know that I have plenty of BSF on my property but I still want to attract them ASAP. \:\)

Originally Posted By: LR Bob
In regards to the ventilation, I was going to just drill several holes consecutively to make a vent similar to what you achieved and then sand the edges down for a more even look. Seems like it should be pretty easy to achieve. If I try it out I will let you know what happens.

I've tried drilling overlapping holes in a bucket with a paddle bit without much success. When I tried it I ended up tearing the plastic around some of the holes. Please let me know if you find a technique that works.