I certainly was thinking lined pond all the way. i was going to go with EPDM rubber lining.

With the issue of sun warming, I guess I don't really know the temp regulations of common pond fish. I just assumed no trout ha ha. I do fish some community ponds that have large quantities of water 3ft and under that carry reproducing populations of BG and LMB. Although it seems the moment they start to grow, the world runs down and fishes them out.

In the areas I have been looking at, most of the wells and such are grandfathered in. My understanding is that if I was to buy a piece of land and try to put a well on it, they would meter it, but I have been to several homes with wells that have no meters at all.

I think the truth is, this is going to be a somewhat expensive endeavor either way, I guess I am just trying to figure out how to get the most for the money I will need to spend, and thought replacing 3 ft of water is alot less expensive then replacing 6.

What fish do you think would do best in warmer temps. I know Tilapia love the warm, but I'm not sure what our winters would get down to.

If they could overwinter, could they be managed by maybe 3 of 4 female LMB and aggressive culling (I love Tilapia on my table)

I am open to all kinds of fish however. I wonder how AaronM keeps his pond full. His temps would be even warmer then mine.