That sucks! I'd go with the 5 wire, and make it tall as well, spaced 1' apart. If the posts are a ways apart, use wire to tie the strands together so they can's spread them easily and slip thru. But, if they want, they can always cut the wire.

Do you live on the property where the pond is located?

Once I caught 2 ATV's going thru the woods behind the house. I stopped them, and informed them that they had just crossed the shooting lane, right behind the 300 Yd. target butt. I explained to them that I wear ear plugs and ear muffs when shooting, and I don't check the woods behind the target before I shoot every time, and I certainly won't hear them. I told them that I'd really feel bad if they or a machine caught a bullet, but there's not much I could do about it once the trigger is pulled. I had signs stating that it was a rifle range and not to enter, but they didn't read them. I think the talk worked, because that was 2 or 3 years ago and there hasn't been any signs of trespassers since then.

Got a small portable tape recorder that you can carry with you the next time you talk with the neighbor?

Sounds like you and Rainman should swap stories.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).