So, I’m in the midst of planning completion of the launch dock/deck and the dock at the beach area. The launch dock/deck will require decking, roof trusses with purlins, and the metal roofing. The beach dock is considerably simpler, requiring only decking. The next step for both is obvious; installing the decking.
I have installed numerous square feet of decks in my lifetime. All of it has been treated lumber, both the frame and the decking. Whenever I completed a deck, I would always admire its beauty. About 2 or 3 years later, I would swear that next deck would be a composite type decking to eliminate maintenance and prolong aesthetic appeal. I haven’t forgotten this self-imposed promise for these upcoming projects. I still firmly believe in treated lumber for the framing, but I have strongly voiced my belief to spend the money for a better decking product. Well, here I am….it’s time to pull the trigger.
I have been doing my due diligence on decking material and, as usual, now know enough to be dangerous. The way I see it, there are three basic material compositions to consider. A) Treated lumber B) composite decking C) Hi density polyethylene (HDPE). The treated lumber is easy to understand since it is the most commonly used product for these type structures. The composite decking is a bit more complicated because it is a blend of plastics and wood fibre. There are different blends and percentages of content. They do eventually break down, mostly because of the wood fibre content. The warranties vary, mostly from 10 – 25 years. The price corresponds. Then I researched HDPE. I was sure I found my new hero. It is a 100% solid plastic product, UV protected, and the warranties are in the 50-year range. They mold the stuff with the color throughout the plastic, so any scratches or gouges reveal the exact same color. Also, the finish is molded with faux wood grains for “looks” and traction. I will admit that, based on on-line product pics, the close-up aesthetic appeal is, well, plasticky. But this is a boat dock. Sure, I want it to look good, but more importantly I want it to wear and last forever….zip maintenance. I think this stuff gets me there.
No matter what product I select, I definitely plan to use hidden fasteners. I did a very small stair-step project last year and tried the under deck galvanized rails. These are the 4‘ long continuous strips that you screw to the top edge of the framing joists. They have pre-punched holes every 1” that will accommodate a deck screw that is run upward and into the bottom of the decking board above it, drawing it down to the galvanized strip and (theoretically) snug against the framing joist. It is awkward work and I was not impressed with the results. I am sold (until further notice) on the Eb Ty hidden fastener system. This is the plan for fastening whatever I finally do select.
So, I am now searching and hoping to find an HDPE product that I can afford. This is my first forbidding barrier. All the name brands that are true HDPE are mega-expensive. The only one I found locally to inspect was an extruded product that looked really great on a display at one of the local lumberyards. It’s called Eco. A piece that is 5.5” wide x 16’ long costs $41. Yikes! Then I found what I hoped to be my answer to the HDPE affordability equation. A factory that actually makes the stuff and will sell retail direct. EPS Plastic Lumber . They have a plant in the Chicago area…perfect! This stuff is absolutely killer. A true 2 x 6 (1.5” x 5.5”) dimensional lumber…err…plastic. They have some closeout product that will work perfectly for my launch dock/deck; the 16’ pc is $38 each. And this is a good deal…?
Here’s how I calculate this. I am going to focus only on the launch dock/deck for completion (the beach dock is far away from the living zone of the pondsite, so it is not as important for looks….the launch area is). Anyway, to deck the entire launch dock/deck with this HDPE deal that I found, it will cost $2200 in materials and hidden fasteners. I think Curly Howard said it best: Nyaah, aah, aah! Now, for the flip side, to do the same area in 2 x 6 treated lumber for the decking, including Eb Ty hidden fasteners, the total cost would be $700. Another factor: the plastic lumber will weigh 1100# for just the 14’ x 16’ deck. That’s a lot of weight, ain’t it? Oh yeah, and get this. Dski is with me and has approved funding of the big bux product if I am 100% sure of the quality and longevity. I really only have one big problem: I can’t do it. I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of dough for this project. So, I analyze it the best I can and this is where I wind up. If I use the Eb Ty hidden fasteners and do a nice job of securing the treated 2 x 6 decking, it will last forever (or at least my lifetime). Accept the fact that it will weather and turn a dull gray and many of the boards with split and crack here and there. At least there won’t be that snappy look of a gazillion screw-head craters. With the money left over (2200 – 700 = $1500), buy the roof materials and finish it off for the same amount of dough as just the plastic magic-deck. Heck, if I do the beach dock with treated, I might be able to use the savings to buy a power washer for lazy cleaning maintenance and a couple gallons of good transparent stain to fake myself out.
….or, do you pull the trigger and buy the killer plastic lumber?
-
-
(a nice product summary by This Old House)