Originally Posted By: Omaha
 Originally Posted By: JKB
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
 Originally Posted By: RAH
and how cavelier folks are with hazardous chemicals...

I work with hazardous chemicals and the EPA on a daily basis so I can relate. Heard a story just yesterday of a guy who was taking any old paints and other solvents and just stockpiling them. No one knew what he was doing with them. Well, he was slowly, routinely over the years, discarding them down a system of pvc pipes under his garage, that subsequently made it into a nearby river. I couldn't believe that. But I do believe the guy is still incarcerated.

Must have been dumping a whole lot!!!

The shop I owned was registered, and I can say that we never spent over 250.00 a year on liquid waste disposal, and that was the minimum charge. They would take everything, solvents, paints, soluble oils, motor oils, cutting oils... That was pretty inexpensive. When I shut down I had an environmental done and came up clean I just had to cover my backside, cause these things have a tendency to pop at later dates.

I guess he had something like 3 "silos" full. So yeah, a lot. Now, I got this 2nd hand and these sort of things tend to get exaggerated, but whatever the case, his disposal method was terribly irresponsible. At best.

Yeah, dealing with EPA regulations can be a pain, but dealing with them after you haven't recorded things correctly is an even bigger pain. Can I ask what company you use to ship your waste? You can send in a PM if you're more comfortable. Just for my own curiosity. I would imagine at that price you've established yourself as a very small quantity generator and don't have to report to the EPA.

That sounds like a story. Went from a typical garage with a network of pvc pipes to deliberately contaminate the ground water to 3 Silos full.

Show me, US -vs- Them!