Wow! What a flurry!
Let me offer more clarity from home base. First, I'm hearing everything you guys are saying.
I have no intention of making the forum a "pay" site. I like that old cliche' "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The forum is where we'll put the "donate" tab and people can pay what they wish. We'll leave the forum as is...maybe add a few topics to help bring Brettski's wishes true.
We have several motives...
1) Increase our paid subscriber numbers.
2) Maximize search engine optimation by adding more content and learning how to better play that game. (skinnybass, let's talk).
3) We've not added content to the website. We offered a few books, videos, etc. and depended on the forum for content.
4) Fore newbies and lurkers, it's hard to find information...that's why I made the comment about hijackers. Personally, I think the hijackings are a big reason people actually read many threads. It's funny, entertaining stuff. By adding content, in the form of e-books, articles, podcasts, etc., we offer specific information. I think some of these topics should be free, but some of them should be sold.
5) It's the content that I'm trying to figure out how to market.
6) Advertising...I totally agree. This site is "mined" by several folks, several of which don't advertise...some do. I've heard some of the stories about the marketing of goods and services via pm's from this site. I like it, but I also think those sellers should make the situation mutually beneficial for those who facilitate the sale.
7) I also have an idealistic side. I truly believe it is our mission to spread the word to teach people how to be better stewards of our land and water resources. To that end, we need a bigger audience, and since we are in the information business, I think it's fair to benefit from this opportunity...at least a little bit.

Keep those thoughts coming.

Understand this:

We don't intend to make the current for a "pay" gig.
We do intend to increase paid subscriber numbers.
We do intend to add lots of content to the site, independent of the forum. Some of this will be free, some won't.

Thanks for the valuable input. We are definitely listening.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...