I wonder how many visit, read, learn, and leave without posting or buying anything? Are they in the minority or majority?

It does definately take money to make this website go. It is very valuable if you have a pond and want some answers from people with experience. So, so many have never heard of it. The trick is to lure them, jiggle the bait just right, and then do a little catch & release - although no harvesting is allowed. I doubt any overpopulation will occur.

A) I would pay to participate. Information here is good stuff.
B) I want both paper and electronic.
C. Paper and electronic should be available to subscribers.
D. Pay for selected items is okay IMO. I've encouraged for a couple yrs now an online, pay for electronic back issue infor either by article or issue. I have all issues indexed, why not fully utilize it? Maybe also pay for other special items - video, themed information sets, etc.
E. Small or limited Membership is okay. Maybe 6 mo, annual, 3yr or 5 yr or life member?
EE. Gold Membership - Life member? One time fee?
F. Free introductory access for 7-30 days. Then charge maybe just to read, and another small fee to post and ansewer & questions. All these fees could get complicated & confusing, but could be simplified with a couple membership levels.

Increasing subscriptions. Why don't pondowners subscribe? Considering how many ponds are in the USA, the number os subscribers is way less than 0.5%. Is it they really don't care about their pond enough to spend $35.00 per year, or is it they don't get enough applied how-to-do-it information from the mag to make it worth spending $35.00 or is it they don't even know about the magazine? Probably some of each in varying amounts. Determine what bait it takes to entice average "Joe" pondowner to bite. Then tie up that bait and present it in an irrestible fashion.

I don't post many pictues because it is IMO a pain. I have slow dial-up internet, I have to go to another site to load, retrieve and then link a photo. Plus I save most of my pics for future articles to encourage mag readership.

A donate tab or address for sending a check for forum and/or Jesse West Foundation supporting Fishery research at So.Dakota State Univ. is a good idea. Secure payment is very important. I use electronic payment, but in today's world is any electronic account secure? Maybe a small one item, monthly online auction would help generate funds? Maybe auction or raffle an attendance fee / admission to the PB conference?.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/21/10 10:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management