Originally Posted By: esshup
I stopped by the Dolmar dealer today and discussed saws. He recommended either the Dolmar 6400 or the 7300 with a 24" bar. Either saw will run a bar from 20" to 32". The bhp of the 6400 is 4.8, the 7300 is 5.7. The weight of both is 13.6#. Engine RPM is governed at 13,500 rpm. All the other specs are identical between the 2 machines (fuel/oil tank capacity, bar and chain sizes) The 7300 is $86.00 more. They are running in the same price range as a Husky. I heard a rumor from a friend today, he said that the new Huskies need to run their own bar oil...

If you are going to get one that big, you might seriously consider getting a smaller one also. A couple of hours with saws that size, if you don't use them day after day, will just beat any energy out of you that you thought you might have -- even in the future. For about the last 20 years, I've nearly always had three saws -- one small, one medium, and one reasonable. I would also get the shortest bar that you can get that will do the job 90% of the time. I find that my medium sized saws always got the majority of hours. They cut almost as fast when cutting wood 10-inch diameter or less, and you walk away a lot less tired.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!