I'm partial to Springer Spaniels. The field bred variety, not the show bred. Field bred's have less tempermanent problems, less physical problems (i.e. hip displaysia) and don't need their hair cut on a 6 week interval - they don't need hair cuts at all. They are pretty self cleaning, you can get them out of a mud puddle, and an hour later they are dry and the dirt is gone. The field breds can run for a long time, I'm sure that they can keep up with a horse. They are a smaller dog, running 40-50 lbs. Less food in, less poop out. They do well in heat and in cold, although they aren't meant for swimming in icy water all day long like Labs or Chessies. They are very people orientated, and they will follow you from room to room in the house (at least mine do). They are very biddable, wanting to please you.

There is a pretty good sized Field Trial group in So. Cal., and they are a good bunch of people. They do a lot of training near Tehachapi, Ca. Ca. ESSFT info.
ESSFT org webpage Tony & Diane Zabilit, Mike Knudson, Jerry & Cheryl Silgar are all great people.

Look at the 2nd link to see the difference between show and field. Springers can be liver (brown) and white, black and white and tri colored.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).