Originally Posted By: MikeyBoy
The pointer has high marks with all of these, particularly the English Pointer as it was not bred to kill, but rather just to flush.

I take exception to that statement. Pointers are just that, the instinct to flush has been weeded out of them so they point. A flushing dog does just the opposite, it drives the bird into the air. A flushing dog from good hunting lineage will not kill the birds - that's called hardmouth and it's considered a fault. The Springers that I have had have such good mouth control that they can jump and grab a bird out of the air (such as a flushing pheasant) and not break the skin with their teeth, bringing the bird back alive. They've been bred to drive the bird into the air (i.e. flush) and if it doesn't fly, grab it and bring it back alive. Pointers will range (run) further than flushing dogs, because they will point the bird, staying there until the hunter walks up and flushes it. Flushing breeds won't wait for the hunter unless they are trained. They are supposed to work within 30 or so yards of the hunter, while some big ranging field trial pointers will range hundreds of yards from their handler. Some pointer field trials are held with the handlers on horseback so they can keep up with the dogs.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).