Any particular reason why a pointer breed? Is the dog for just for family or do you plan to hunt over it? While I have never owned a pointer myself, as a child I had an Irish setter and have a number of friends who own pointers and setters. English pointers and GSP's are both great dogs. The biggest thing I will say about both is they need LOTS and LOTS of EXERCISE. Otherwise they will bounce of the walls. A good half hour of them burning off calories a day is usually enough to keep them calmed down. Both breeds are great family dogs, affectionate and will want to be by your side. I have more experience with GSP's and I guess maybe that makes me impartial as I like the way they look better. Plus, if you are looking to use this dog as a hunter, GSP are a more versatile breed. Esshup gave you great advice about the health... Genetics, genetics, genetics! I got my lab about 1 and a half years ago and can't imagine not having her now... I was patient and found the right breeder with a good line. Good thing is, Anna who comes on here and every now and then knows piles about dog health and care and has been a great resource helping me along the way. So when it comes to diet and health issues, I'd check with her. Best of luck, having a dog is very special... A lot of work when they are puppies, but they aren't called man's best friend for no reason!