MIkey:

I can't give you any concrete advice on which pointer, but do a thouough health check of the parents. Make sure there is no hip displaysia in the breeding line, and the eyes are CERF'd clear. The least expensive thing about getting a dog is the price you pay for the pup. Any medical expenses will run into a lot of $$.

Show dogs are bred more for conformation than for tempermant, field dogs are bred for finding birds, bidability, etc. The better breeders will ask you a bunch of questions to determine if your house and you are a fit for the dog. The breeders that don't are usually more concerned about the $$.

I know some people might disagree, but I strongly recommend crate training the pup. It's not cruel, and it will save you a lot of headaches if you have to leave the pup unsupervised. It's amazing how much trouble they can get into all by themselves.

The biggest thing about training is consistency, and getting the pup to listen to you the first time you tell it to do something. You should get to a point pretty quickly that you only have to say the command once for the pup to listen to you.

Good luck on the search!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).