Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
CJ, I have no experience with Tilapia but NCState has done extensive reasearch. I copied this quote from my above post:
 Quote:
The blue tilapia (T. aurea) feeds entirely
on algae (both planktonic and filamentous)
but does not readily consume submersed macrophyte
vegetation. The redbelly tilapia (T.
zilli) feeds primarily on submersed macrophytes
rather than algae.

Ric, these are the types of study "statements of fact" that really tick me off at the researchers. Saying Blue tilapia only consume algae is as false as it can be. I can't say the researchers observed them eating anything else, but they should highlight how the study was don and what was observed. My tilapia in aquariums are fed pellets, they eat them voraciously---they will not TOUCH algae in my tanks unless I stop feeding the pellets.
A study done at UC-Davis on T. Zilli and T Rendalli came to a conclusion that these observed tilapia would not consume any plants needing controlled in the Imperial Valley Irrigation Canals. The Researchers said they fish would not and CAN not consume the specific plants needing control and suggested other fish be tried.... Fast forward several weeks to when T. Zilli and T. Rendalli were ACTUALLY put into the Canals and the researchers had a damn hard time trying to explain why the tilapia not ONLY consumed the plants the study said they can't, they eradicated some of them....The OTHER problem with the researches CONCLUSIVE results, the tilapia had none of the matter in their digestive systems that the researchers concluded was what their main diet was....Go figure.

BTW. I have tried to find this study and the link no longer works and all links I have found return to the dead link.

My point is that TOO much research is pawned off as blanket facts for all situations and any evidence to the contrary is false. I don't doubt the accuracy or observations stated in 99.9% of these studies, but I want to smack them upside the head when they CONCLUDE that their observations will hold true in all situations---That is arrogance beyond belief.

Last edited by Rainman; 02/03/10 09:32 AM.