The company that just did the engineering study and proposal for the ESS-13 said that core sampling by a geotechnical firm could be done but it would be very expensive.

Now that the pond is built and 2/3 full I think it is a mute point. I don't remeber any compaction equipment other than the smallish dozer the builder used.

He was there for almost 3 months and he felt the number of trips from the back of the pond to the dam at the front with the clay and soil was enough compaction.

From what I have learned here I am leaning towards porous soil, combimed with poor compaction and possibly a dam that is too small has allowed water to leave the pond and reenter downstream into the creek.

So, what is the most cost efective means of correcting this? If I have to drain it and use ESS-13, which I am assured will work, should I also have the dam added onto?

With the ESS-13 they remove 2 feet of dirt from the entire pond bottom, mix with the ESS and then replace. At this point I could insist and make sure that they use a sheepsfoot roller and thoroughly compact the bottom.

If this scenario is correct - problem solved for $63k more. If not then the dam is the problem and I won't know until I do the ESS.

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]