Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

Bill and Cecil -- I thought some of the early work on saugeye showed that they were easier to intensive culture than the walleye? Same thing with the tiger musky vs. the northern pike or muskellunge?

Dave,

I can't speak for Bill of course, but I think he and I were referring mostly to that statement about getting the saugeye up to market size by hatching them earlier, made us wonder why one couldn't do that for perch also? Actually I'm guessing having multiple cohorts by manipulating the photoperiod is being done by one big producer of yellow perch here in Indiana, but I don't know for sure. I do know it's definitely a good option if you want to produce fish consistently of the same size regardless of the time of year.

Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
We still end up at the same place. What would be the brood source for pure sauger and pure walleye for production of the hybrids?

I don't know about other states but our state of Indiana got their walleye broodstock by gillnetting and electroshocking wild fish. I really don't know how they got the sauger unless they had some kind of trade with Ohio for sauger broodstock or they simply got the saugeye with a trade, which wouldn't surprise me. Now with the potential of getting VHS in wild fish that may not be as good an option now?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.