Bill/David - I posted this unaware that Saugeye and Hybrid WE were the same creature. Here's my post would appreciate any feedback:

Okay guys - question for the experts regarding the Saugeye. Saugeye is a WE/Sauger hybrid with limited reproduction capabilities that combines benefits of both species. Retains WE ability for growth [they can exceed 10 lbs IIRC] but are tolerant of both warmer and more turbid waters ala Sauger.

Seems there could be a niche fileed by them in midwestern and southern ponds in my inexperienced estimation. I know of several E NE reservoirs that have been successful with SE stockings and they are all warm and on the turbid side. What are your impressions?

The main problem I see is availability via hatcheries - I've never seen them advertised. Bill - David - Eric - Cecil et al....bet you have some light to shed here. I'm interested in them and would be willing to experiment in the main pond with your blessings...

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 12/30/09 02:54 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]