Hey IB, getting back to your question. No problem with Green Sunfish. They are just another mouthful for bass and cats. And actually, an easier mouthful due to their more elongated shape. The only downside to them is their lack of spawning as compared to bluegill. Personally, I like green sunfish but their reputation has suffered due to being maligned by the ignorant and unwashed.

Hybrid bluegill are a fish that I don't care for unless you have a small catfish pond with a feeder.

Since GSF only spawn annually, they cannot handle the heavy predation of bass to become an perpetual forage/protein base for your predators. I would drop in several hundred 5 to 6 inch bluegill to get them established while the GSF provide the groceries. BTW, with a water hole of less than one acre, culling bass, not GSF, will be your biggest problem.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/12/09 07:20 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP