Originally Posted By: Sgt911
I just got back from the property,thanks all for the replies, some good info there. Now I need to decide if I should go with a slab or frame foundation?

Slab as in no basement? Do you have tornadoes in your part of Texas? If so, a basement to go to would be nice.

My log home has a wood foundation. Guaranteed for at least 50 years unlike concrete that is not. I have yet to see a basement wall made of blocks or poured concrete didn't crack or become damp. It also stays dry as a bug in the basement which i want for my taxidermy shop which is located in the basement (walk-in basement).

For those of us that don't know anything about this wood foundation basement it sounds pretty foolish putting wood underground. But the wooden frame is a special treated wood with some type of plastic sheeting, and has pea gravel for drainage all the way around it, which drains off into a pipe. If you poor water near the foundation it disappears right away.

However I would strongly suggest your log home overlap the basement. (Logs stick out a little farther than the sill plate). Mine is even with the sill plate and the idiot who built my house got the flashing bass ackwards. I have to do keep the caulking in shape where the house meets the sill plate or rainwater creeps in if the wind is blowing against the house.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.