Built a Gastineau Log Home (red and white oak) back in '96. In my pat of the world, oak was priced about the same as pine or cedar.

Our's is 2700 square foot with a full finished basement and a 16x70 foot deck across the back. Very open design and 22 foot vaulted cielings in the living room, master bed room and kitchen/rec area.

It was not a mistake and I would build one again even with the maintenance intensity of the log homes. A long home is a reflection of life style, and a constant work in progress. If you wantsomething free of annual lupkeep, STAY AWAY FROM A LOG HOME. If you like the settling effect, the ambience, and the natural beauty, --- go for it.

I used some natuarl rock on the front of the house that came from my property. It really helps keep the maintenance down. We went with a dark green metal roof and that was not a mistake. Zero maintenance on the roof. Our roof is a very steep pitch.

Make sure your logs are kiln or air dried before you build. It will really keep your setteling to a minimum. You will get some setteling, regardless of what you are told. Believe me.

I can have the worst day at work and spend about 10 minutes in the house or on the deck watching the deer or turkeys, and life is good again. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by jimmydee; 11/06/09 12:55 PM.