Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
My bluegill, in Texas, feed all winter, except when the water temp drops into the 30's.
But, if fish won't eat in the cold, why do you guys fish for them under the ice?
I contend that if the food source is plentiful, growth continues through the winter, albeit more slowly.
We saw some outstanding individual growth rates with bluegill in North Carolina the last two winters. There were several feeders where they were pretty aggressive, even on the coldest days.

I don't know Bob. Standing on two feet of ice here with sub zero temps I'm just not convinced of any growth. I'm not countering your years of fish experience and knowledge that dwarfs mine, just having a healthy debate here. ;\)

As far as why they bite under the ice I don't have a problem with them eating for maintenance, but the growth thing in really cold water (30's) has me skeptical. Furthermore fish do bite on reflex do they not? When we ice fish for bluegill, bass, etc. we pretty much have to drop that bait right in front of their noses. Many times you can see them but they are not interested in biting. Monster redears in the local lakes are notorious for that.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/20/09 09:15 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.