Rumor has it certain parties are questioning my morels... ;\)

Unexpected bonus on the land this Spring. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Yellow [Blonde] Morel Mushroom [Morchella esculenta], these are remarkably delicious critters that even classic shroom haters often enjoy. There are three species we typically find in the wooded draws of NE - the Black, Gray and Yellow - but one can likely find them in deciduous forests throughout North America. Locating Morels is not rocket science, but timing their brief appearance stumps even the most grizzled veterans at times. It's all about soil moisture and temperature.

Morel hunting is a Hudson family tradition handed down through four generations - and my kids were finally introduced this Spring as they are old enough to withstand the rugged terrain which the Morel frequently calls home. Sadly, most of the areas from which these were found is now 10' beneath the water. I'm hopeful they'll spring up somewhere again though.

These are pics of what I consider Yellow and Gray's, laid out on the dehydrating trays for a while until I vaacuum seal and freeze them. I've had them up to 3 years later and they were still outstanding.

Almost the lowest setting here...

Little hint on the prime time: Lilacs are blooming and do you remember this Pondboss cover?

Lid is down and it's dehydrating time.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]