DD1:

This may not apply to John, (he's roughly 30 miles from me) and hopefully somebody else with more knowledge will chime in. When first moving here, I had the soil tested, and I was told that I needed to add 500# of lime per ac to bring the pH back in balance & 200#/ac of 12-12-12, and re-check in a year. The next year I needed 300# of lime/ac and the same amount of triple 12. After I renovated the pond, I spread the spoils all over the ground, raising the ground level around the house and near the road by roughly a foot. I had the soil re-tested, and this time the pH was 7.2, but it also showed that it was really lacking in Nitrogen, mildly lacking in P and K. 200#/ac of 25-5-10 was recommended, 3x/year for the first year, with a soil test done again in a year ($8.00 for the test since it's agriculture ground)

Most of the soil that was moved and spread out during the pond renovation never had any lime or fertilizer added to it, the terrain wouldn't allow it. So my question is why the large difference in pH? I can understand the difference in fertilizer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).