Originally Posted By: Brettski
For the record, a real good pond builder would have recognized what you're doing and would have made strong suggestions to either support or challenge your plans. I think I would take that approach of "looking for his help and tapping his years of experience" to help avoid a poor logistical decision for a nice beach. My NRCS guy once told me nothing trumps ground truth when it comes to preparing excavation. Let your dirt guy help you make the decision. If, after you consider all we have discussed here, he says that a beach and swimming area would work out just fine within the cove, perhaps you will have learned something about HIS expertise and wisdom.

My dirt guy is only that, a dirt guy. Not a pond guy. It's his first pond. He's very good at moving dirt, he's been doing it his whole life, but I've had to instruct him and watch him very closely. And I don't really know what I'm doing of course, I'm very new to all of this. I rely very heavily on this forum for guidance and the help of good local guys like TJ to offer advice. I think I was a bit stubborn in my plans for keeping the swimming area isolated, but I appreciate the no nonsense answers and opinions you guys are so good at giving here. This will be a pond built by PondBoss, that's for sure. I'm just the laborer.