Thanks Wes for posting on PB. You will find this a very inquisitive group. Guys go read the link I posted earlier for some of the science and the note about what Wes' job is. Wes you will always be a PB friend and respected with us no matter if a hornets nest is stirred up or if there is disagreement. Disagreement here is common but always respectful and open to change as we learn more. I know I have had at least 3 different opinions on some topics due to new info and study.

This is true cutting edge stuff that is not proved ( long term studies) as to F-1s or Fx specifically but is the application of general principals of genetics to the idea. There is so much we don't know yet and as Wes noted the more important point is food , water quality , and age. There are natural populations of Fxs in the intergraded zone that don't show outbreeding depression as noted by and in the TX studies linked. We can all watch my pond 3 and lets see what happens. It is stocked with TX Overton pure Flas , Northerns from Greg and F-1s from ASF. In three years +- we will sample some 8-12 inch fish and see pics/results and genetic testing. Keep in mind that quality fish local to your area are locally adapted for your area ( don't put fish from Ohio in a southern pond nor MS fish in Ohio). Local adaptation is very important. The bigger risk IMO is inbreeding - genetic regression (to few genes from to small a source)over time.

Much to learn on this topic and additional studies over time will help.