I made a floating duck house this spring out of 1 1/2" rigid styrofoam insulation. A Mallard took right to it and nested twice. She took her first batch away after two days and apparently lost them. She kept the second batch here. Only 4 out of 11 eggs hatched. I think the box is too small to allow her to turn her eggs. A larger one is in the plans for next year.

A few days before her eggs hatched the 2nd time around, she began joining the catfish at feeding time. Now, she and her babies join right in the feeding frenzy.

Catfish food is twice the protein level ducks should have but twice a day surely can't hurt too much. We also put out some cracked corn at the water's edge that they enjoy.

Its been a job trying to rid the pond of snapping turtles. 9 have "departed" but one still eludes me. I think its what got two of the babies and almost got a 3rd. That ducks name is now "Lucky Duckie". Its left leg was injured but a trip to the vet, a few days of antibiotics in the garage and she is back with Mama and doing better every day. We lucked out as our Vet takes care of wild animals at no charge.

My only experience with ducks in the past has been "snapshots" of their lives. To watch the whole process daily from nest site selection to the babies flying away (hopefully) has been very entertaining and educational. They're now 35 days old and counting..