my design is as follows i cut a few dead elms down and put them into the feeder creek 500-100ft up stream then i cut smaller trees down and put them within the elms to create a snag like thing this stops any leaves from coming down stream and larger branches during floods i built 7 of them in one day. next i took a shovel out and built 10 little pools with a small rock wall at the end of each to slow the water down before it reaches my major silt ponds. the first dams the water up about two feet but has pipes near the base to acomodate normal flow. the top is concrete with embede rocks to make a natrual walking bridge. i am now in the planning stages for my large silt pond which during floods will create a 1/10th acre pond after the floods the water will be able to flow at the only the maximum amount that my pond out let pipe can handle i do this by using 4 4" pvc pipes 1' up the dam this allows for slit to settle but water to continue to flow. my last project is similar to the 1st except it is at the entrance to the "run" into my pond. it slows the water down before it enters the very rocky "white water" entrance basiclly i took a bunch of stones and piled them up the water will be at least a foot deep there so it doesnt look like white waters but it will add so rocky habitat

0.22 acre dam pond LMB, BG, and CC