Originally Posted By: 2trackin
Dang!! How can I get my hands on some of those bad boys? That makes my Hybrid Bluegills look like chumps!

Contact Bruce Condello! My goal is to supply fish for myself and I am at a disadvantage in that any fish I ship out of state have to be tested for VHS which I am now finding out could be well over $300.00 just for one lot. I have to pay a vet to come out and take samples and then pay for lab testing. With Bruce not being in a Great Lakes state he shouldn't have to do any testing.

I also don't feel comfortable profiting off of Bruce's time and effort in genetic selection. I'm just happy to be able to use the superior genetics for my own use.

One other fly in the ointment this year is I screwed up and didn't keep the bluegill production pond drained until just before fertilization like I should have. I can't get an algae bloom going to save my life for zooplankton production (seechi dish can be seen on the bottom in the pond's deepest water at 8 feet), and it's probably due to some submerged vegetation taking hold and sucking up the nutrients. Cooler than normal temps may not be helping either. I may be lucky to get a half decent crop this year. The best case scenario will be fewer fish. The worst case scenario will be fewer fish and poor body condition until I can get them on feed.

Live and learn!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/17/09 11:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.