Sounds like deer ticks to me as well - I just had two subcontractors come down with lyme due to untreated deer tick bites and they are down for the count for a spell - didn't receive antibiotics until the symptoms had been around too long and the illness got a foothold.

I'm fortunate that mosquitoes and ticks generally leave me be, but whenever we're going to walk through any vegetation during the Summer at the lakes I make sure to get a nice layer of a repellent with at least 10% DEET on the wife and kids and they have always come through clean.

I have to echo Ric's sentiments on being cautious broadcasting pesticides that eradicate beneficial insects indescriminately. I know in NE the honeybee population has been significantly reduced over the past several years - think that might be the situation nationwide too. Certainly not preaching, just something to consider before taking that route.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]