Where are you living now, and how did you end up there? I graduated from Camp Hill High School.

Sadly, the river has had some issues lately that has led to very little recruitment over that past couple of years. The fishing has not been very good for about the past 4+ years now and going. Multiple angencies continue to try search for how to correct this situation.

Going to test my memory? As a back up, feel free to send me an email at reberts@state.pa.us and I can send you the link to my journal article. If my memory serves me correctly, they broadcast over vegetation. Spawning in N. Illinois, usually occured in April JUST before male largemouths started making nests. Hence why there would always be an immediate food source for the YOY largemouth coming off of the nest. While I never observed sneaking behavoir from them, I would notice lake chubsucker YOY schools (clouds) in close proximity to largemouth nests and think that may be how the sneaker theory came about?

Why they may have an expansive native range, I do not recall them being very abundant in many states? Because of such, in conjunction with them being a non-game species, I doubt anyone ever took the time to any genetic work on them?

If the brood stock was started from a southern population, I wouldn't think there would be a problem raising them as a single species in a pond, so long as ample vegetation was present. Also, as many fish are bought from hatcheries in the south and stocked in northen ponds, I would not think that the chubsuckers would have any problems adapting to a new region?

I would have to send you the journal article to answer your water chemistry question. Our broodstock was taken from infertile gravel pit lakes that were weedy and may have had secchi depth of 20+ feet? However, our research ponds were only one acre in size, with may be a mx. depth of 6 feet. These ponds were so weedy that we actually stocked a few grass carp in each pond to try and at least keep the weeds from getting to out of control. The carp cause some turbidty.

I hope I answer most of your questions?

Ron Eberts, Jr.