Ammonia. I am not a chemist, only a lawyer, but according to a scholarly article on chicken manure from Clemson University:
"A portion of the nitrogen in poultry manure is in the ammonium (NH4+) form. Ammonium(NH4+) and ammonia (NH3-) can interchange rapidly depending on the pH. Ammonium will convert to ammonia at a pH that is greater than 6.5. Increasing the pH (more alkaline or less acid) increases the amount of ammonia and decreases the amount of ammonium. Most manure has a pH close to 7.0. Therefore, ammonium and a small fraction of ammonia are present. The Clemson University Agricultural Services Laboratory reports a single value for the ammonium nitrogen content of manure. This value includes both ammonical forms of nitrogen (NH4+ and
NH3-).http://www.clemson.edu/camm/Camm_p/Ch3/pch3b_00.pdf

The soils around the pond would tend to be on the acid side. So what I think this article says is than manure applied to acid soils is likely to have less ammonia that the normal manure which only has a "fraction" of ammonia present. But I will defer to the scientists. In any event, would ammonia just kill BG and not LMB? If so, have we have discovered a way to fix an BG overpopulated BG/LMB pond?

Last edited by BillB; 06/02/09 05:55 PM.