Thanks for the quick reply, I barely had time to take my daughter out between rainshowers. I'll make some modifications. They don't seem to appreciate Publix brand non-dairy topping, I thought they'd go for it with the soy oil content.

Re their diet, I'm, not exactly sure what they are consuming in the compost heap, there was only a handful of asparagus, a bunch of grapes, dead strawberries and tomatoes and maybe 3 cups of mac and cheese and a cup of cat food. No more than 5 quarts of worm chow dumped once last weekend. Ah, I forgot to mention I added some livestock urine from a nearby ranch, maybe a gallon and turned through the whole pile. Gotta love that extra 15% nitrogen. I left the cover off and the pile got soaked by torrential rains (so much for the extra N2) and I turned it without tearing it down a day later. I haven't fed them till today and today's chow is the bait for the bucket. If I pull the bags off fast I see about a dozen worms of varying sizes in 4 sq inches, except over the hot center and the dry edges. I'm surprised how fast they can move. I haven't spotted adults, but it is dappled shadow and darker under the bedliner, and the size, color staging and lack of/pleasant odor pretty much point to soldier flies.

I wish it would stop raining, I have holes to dig and a another leaf pile to grind with the mulching mower. (Anyone have a cheap old car? I need horsepower to run my hammermills.)

Last edited by bobdog; 05/23/09 03:15 PM.