Tried to keep snow of in strips like I usually do vs. a diffuser in shallow water and this year I'm worried. Went out to blow some snow off again today and took a D.O. reading. Just sitting there in the water below the ice the reading was below 2 ppm. \:o However I was able to get it up to 3+ ppm by swishing the sensor back and forth which is what you're supposed to do. Since I don't alway trust my meter, I did a manual test with test kit and got 4.75 ppm in a hole that had been open for about an hour. Not sure if D.O. would diffuse back into it due to the differential and the reading is a little high. Last week readings were about 1 ppm higher.

So to play it safe I cut a big hole in the ice and set my 1/2 hp aerator into it. It's not really pulling up deeper water but I'm hoping it creates a massive hole in the ice. I've got it tied to the dock so I can pull it in any time.

Anyone else up north having concerns? We've had quite a snowy winter up here and I wasn't able to remove any for at least a couple of weeks due to thin ice and slush under the snow. I also had a lot of massive blooms of filamentous algae before ice up.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/06/09 10:37 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.