Thank you RM - this addresses everything I think I needed to learn prior to launching a stocking program. I'm ready to compile all the info and put it into action....now I just need to source 4-6" Blues and Niles for stocking this June and I'm set! Hmmm...Yellow Pages in Lincoln NE has nothing for Tilapia farms. What the~!

Originally Posted By: Rainman
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
 Originally Posted By: jakeb
George thanks and that makes sense, however the main reason I am attracted to tilapia is the forage potential and not control of algae. I want to have my cake and eat it too

Correction I want to have tilapia and me and my bass eat them too.

Jakeb - thats a really good point - I also want benefits of algae control and for TP to serve as forage. I'm wondering if one stocked the mid sized 5-7 inchers they would control the algae and their offspring could serve as the forage. Guess I need to figure out:

1. How many spawns I could count upon during a season
2. If aeration would affect getting water temps to the 80's which appears the temp they need to acheive for spawn - so one might need to be mindful of shutting down aeration a few times a season to achieve the desired temps?
3. Growth rate for YOY TP - if they don't grow quickly they won't serve as much of a meal - no matter how many exist in a pond.

Rainman? George? Ryan? Anyone?

TJ, I'll respond to what I know and have researched on the Blues.

You can safely add the T at 60 degrees--(spawning rarely occurs below 70) and if a few cold nights occur the T will most likely find warm pockets of refuge even in aerated ponds and survive. They will even dig into the substrate to survive. I watched this when I lowered the temp in a tank with ice to 40 degrees for 30 minutes and all 8 3 inch "test" fish survived.

Blues (and Niles) sexually mature at 4 inches and/or 2-4 months. Assuming you have at least a 4 month spawning season (water above 70) AND you stock 2 month old 4"+ fish you will get 2-4 spawns from each originally stocked female producing an average of 200 surviving offspring. Of the first YOY spawn, you will get at least one spawn from each of those females and a possible spawn from the second YOY.

Assume you have a 4 month growing season (water temp above 70) and stock 100 three month 4" fish, 50 male, 50 female. Let's use an example of only 10 females spawning within a week of stocking and each producing the average 200 (50% male/female ratio) surviving fry and all other spawn from all other females falling to predation. Those original 10 will produce at least 4000 offspring (2 spawns)and the fist spawned females will produce another 200,000 fish that will be an average size of 3" by the end of your 4 month season.

Please check my math.---I'm old!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]