Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Ryan

It seems some posts in the thread you provided talked about stirring up the bottom sediments when TP spawned - I'm thinking mouth brooding species [Blue] might alleviate that issue if you indeed noticed one?

TJ

I think all the tilapia in question are mouth brooders. I suspect they will stir up the bottom foraging once food gets scarce. I only suspect this is the reason because I returned from vacation once and found the pond muddy for no other cause and once I started feeding again it cleared up.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Ryan

So, after all was said and done....WAS IT WORTH IT?

TJ

I'm on the fence. I have to drive 50 miles and haul the fish myself plus I wasn't buying the fish, they were donated which complicates things a bit. I'm also suspect of how much pellets they consume vs. how much of that added protein gets passed on to my predators and doesn't end up as dead fish on the bank. On the other other hand, I didn't have to apply chemicals which isn't a big deal labor wise but it does give you a sense that your doing something better for the pond, the fish and environment. Cost wise, including my time and travel, It's a wash. If tilapia were easily accessible and reasonably priced there is no question that I would stock them every year, at least at a low rate of approximately 5-10lbs per acre. I'm undecided if I'll stock this season.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking