Originally Posted By: Paraphrased quote from eddie_walker
It has been a dream of mine to have a few acres and live out in the country.... I've learned that it's nothing like I thought it would be.

Very interesting observation Eddie. I grew up in the city and now live at the beach. Tiring of the hustle and bustle of city life we purchased our pond property. I had no idea what we were in for. I'm not complaining I love the out-of-doors work compared to my seat-bound bean counting duties. We stayed on our property a lot in 2008 and in 2006. Actually spending time on the land really changes your ideas about what is important and what is not.

Originally Posted By: Paraphrased quote from eddie_walker
Living out here, I spend all day outdoors working on the land.... When the day comes to an end, I'm not interested in the view or what's happening outside. I wonder how ofter you'll actually sit and enjoy that view, or relax on the deck?

So very true. Our home in Southern California has quite a nice view. The first year or two that we bought our place we spend a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the view. After a while however it just sort or wears off. In a view home you just don't spend that much time sitting there enjoying the view. On our pond property I insisted on placing our trailers in a dumb location just because it had a view of the pond. My dad tried to warn me that the ground was too steep and that although we would have a pond view, getting in and out of the trailers would be a pain and that the surrounding ground was not flat which would make sitting in chairs outside and just plain walking around outside more difficult. I was stupid and didn't listen to dad's wise council. I'm moving the trailers a flat ground non view area in 2009. As you mentioned after spending all day working on the property I don't sit and stare out the window at the pond.

Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
Instead, how much fun will it be carrying load after load of firewood up the stairs. How many loads will you burn in and evening? How many loads during a day in the middle of winter?

Stairs are no fun. We have to go up two flights of stairs in our Southern California home. Everything has to go up stairs (groceries, laundry, Pond Boss magazine, everything). Stairs get old in a REAL hurry. Especially if you have any back or knee problems (or as I did in 2005, break a leg - try going up and down stairs with a full leg cast that won't let you bend your knee).

Everything I'm building now is one-story period. Like Bski, I'm 50 but both myself and JWHAP have had knee problems and so we are going to build are next home with an eye to the future.

I realize Bski that this structure isn't going to be your main home but I do think that you are getting some interesting input.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)