I'm not one of the experts but have a couple of thoughts. Hope Otto corrects me on my stupid ideas.

I figure I would have hauled the trash back to the neighbors front yard. Gratis. Otto probably won't disagree with this one.

If I understand it right, he has another junky dam 5 ft from your property line. I believe I would tear it out. It just might impound enough water to be a problem (flood) to your new dam/property when it fails. At best, it would give you a lot shallower water hole.

If you have enough clay, make sure it is well mixed with the sand. A carelessly mixed strata of sand can be an aquifer that creates a brand new washout. If you don't have enough clay, either buy some or forget the whole deal. Been there/done that and have the scars and unpleasant memories.

I PERSONALLY would tear out the old dam and reuse/remix the soil you get out of it with new clay or sandy loam. I don't have a lot of faith with patching the holes of failed dams.

Like Otto says, make preparations for a 100 year flood of Biblical proportions. Even in Texas, we could get enough rain to be about 1,000 years ahead of the curve on 100 year floods.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/21/08 09:22 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP