I went out and took some pics of my mess today. Before I get down to the pics I should probably explain a bit about how our original pond was structured. As stated before, two wet weather creeks enter the west end of our property and about 75 yards in they converge. The original owner of the property built two dams across the resulting creek. The primary dam was constructed on the edge of a seam of red clay that runs through our property. The soil for the dam came from the seam of red clay. The area where the clay was scooped out created a secondary pond that we refer to as the overflow pond. The original owner then scooped out additional clay from the overflow pond and built up a second dam about 10 feet from the east fence line. (We purchased the property on the other side of that east fence a couple of years before the dam collapsed.) As you will see from the pics, both dams were breached. I tend to refer to the main dam as simply "the dam" and the overflow dam as "2nd dam". The pipes you will see in the 2nd dam do not actually go anywhere, though both ends of one or two of them were visible when we purchased the property, they had since been covered over. We were not aware there were more than 3 pipes until the back side of the dam washed away and left them all visible.

Some of the pics are a bit large, so I'm going to just post links to my photobucket account rather than use image tags.

To start off with, here is a west to east panorama of the area from the point where the creeks converge to the primary dam. There is an old hand-dug well in the bottom of the pond area. In relation to this pano, the well is about 30 yards forward from where I'm standing when I took the series of shots for this pano. The part of the well casing above ground level was broken off and a concrete cover fitted over the well, held in place with rebar driven into the ground around it and bent over the cover. The well had been covered over with sand since some time after we put the cap on it and has not been visible until today. I noticed that the cap was partially visible today and looked like it might be slightly ajar, but I did not have time to thoroughly investigate today. I plant to fill in that well before rebuilding the dam as the water contains too much iron to be usable for anything. We have a better well for our small cabin and cattle troughs that extends down 450 feet to the second water table.

(Pics are placed roughly in the order that that they were taken as I walked east, then circled up to the north than back down through the breach in the main dam and back west, up the steam-bed/pond-bottom)

Here's the first West-East Pano: West to East Pano 1

This is a pic standing in the old stream bed / pond bottom looking toward the dam: Toward Dam 1

From the same spot looking back upstream toward where the creek splits: Upstream View

Approaching the breach in the main dam from the south west: Breach Edge

Here's a west to east pano taken from a spot on the south end of the dam: West to East Pano 2

Cross section of the breach: Cross Section

Standing in the breach looking upstream and back downstream towards the second dam

Pano of the back side of the breach in the main dam. A slightly closer pano of the back side.

This pic was taken standing on the southern end of the main dam looking across the overflow pond to the second dam.

Approacing breach in 2nd dam

Closer to the 2nd dam

Close up cross section of the 2nd dam breach.

(Not sure how many links are allowed in a single post so I'm going to continue the pics in another post.)