Just some thoughts about cost and effort in pond mgmt. We have a 3/4 acre pond with approx 48 feed trained northern LMB (bought them that way), 16 Fla LMB (not feed trained), 50 HSB, 100's CNBG and Tilapia. We started stocking in Oct 2007. We hand feed about 3 lbs of AQMX 600 in one spot every night, then walk around the pond feeding AQMX 500 to the smaller fish. I don't mix the feed because the target audience for the 500 won't get in the area of the big guys. We aerate 24/7, and use well water to keep pond full (well is for the house also). The feed trained LMB, HSB, Tilapia, and CNBG have really grown, with LMB RW > 1.2, and some HSB now over 3 lbs (started at about 7 oz in Dec 2007).

All of this may sound like a lot, but it really isn't. I used the info on this site to build a very low cost aerator system. A GAST rotary vane pump (housed in simple plastic storage bin with vents), 9" membrane diffuser in homemade bucket support, and weighted 1" flexible PVC tubing. Total cost < $150 and draws less than 1 amp. Since the pond is at our home, I saved the feeder cost by hand feeding so I can keep an eye on things. The tilapia were a great investment. Bought 10 lbs for $100, and they really kicked the LMB weight up. Yes, there are a few days the fish go unfed b/c I have no feeder, but they don't seem to suffer any, and I still have that $600 in my pocket. All of my structure was obtained as "junk" from other people, and hurricane Ike provided a wealth of big limbs and stumps to collect around south Houston.

I have not removed any fish yet, as they are all less than 2 yrs old. I plan on reducing the number next summer as I catch LMB that have not grown well. The Fla LMB do not eat AQMX, but are still growing well b/c feeding the Tilapia and CNBG keeps them spitting out young'uns. I wont remove any of the Fla LMB as their purpose is to add good genes to pond.

What I am trying to say is that you don't have to spend a huge amount of money to have an above average pond, but just be willing to do a little hunting/research for bargains and spend some time managing the forage base. I certainly don't have umlimited funds, but this site can give you unlimited ideas.

Thanks,

Darryl