Thanks for that info oldsconv, it will be helpful when I get to that point in my stocking plans.

Eddie, there are plenty of BSF in NC. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

If you felt like playing around with a small colony this winter you may have time. I'm still seeing a lot of egg laying activity in Georgia now, more than all summer in fact. You could get a decent colony established and maintain it through the winter with insulation. You can process scraps/waste with the same BSF individuals all winter because their development stalls until the spring time. Just feed them daily and keep them insulated. I have a post about it here.

If you want "instant colony" I'd be willing to send you BSF eggs for pretty cheap. It might not hurt to get some mature larvae as well in case it's warm enough to get one last mating. If you're interested send me a message via my contact form on my blog.

You'll like BSF much more than bottle flies which would tend to pester you and your animals. The maggots you found on your goats were probably bottle fly larvae. It takes BSF eggs 4 days to hatch and their growth after that is relatively slow. Also, mammals have to decompose for several weeks before BSF larvae can utilize them for food. BSFL are actually better suited to eating fruits and vegetables but can get by on animal protein.