Hey Chris4,
Theo and Chris (yes, young blood) offer sound advice. I want to address the cost end of the deal.
Construction costs vay from region to region. In fact, when I started diggin' our project, it was the costs that brought me to this forum with my first thread on that same subject . At that time, it seemed that I was paying some of the higher prices for hourly dirt work. In retrospect, I don't regret a penny based on the return. I recently spoke with my dirt guy and asked him what he was currently charging. He said that he got up to $105 per hour per pc of equipment before diesel prices surpassed the $3 mark. As of today, he is working at $105/hr plus $15/hr fuel surcharge = $120/hr per pc of equipment. Once again, I remind both of us that prices vary by region...and....size of equipment (amount of dirt moved)...and...quality of final product. Comparing dirt-moving prices starts to get like shopping for a new mattress.
I would reach out to the county NRCS office. Matt Clark, a PB forum member (from Iowa) mentioned above, has had outstanding support by his NRCS agent and office. Share with them your plan. If nothing else, they should be able to provide a list of dirt guys that would qualify to be considered for your project. Maybe shop a little more....?