Howdy, Chris4.

With only 2 ft of elevation change across the width of the pond, you will be removing a LOT of dirt for a half acre pond. Last year I built a 0.45 acre pond with a 5 foot drop in elevation; we went down 12 1/2 feet vs. your planned 10 feet, so the amount of excavated material is probably pretty similar. I had a pile of topsoil (which was up to 4 feet thick in the basin) 6 feet high, 20 feet wide, and about 50 yards long which we distributed on 3 fields next to the pond to improve them, and a pile of clay roughly to same size which we placed out of the way in the woods and left there.

The best situtation for you would of course be if someone nearby wants to buy your excess topsoil and clay; second best if you can give it to someone who will pay to have it hauled right out of the pond while under construction (that would hold your costs on moving the dirt down). If you will be keeping it on your property, remember that the farther it is moved, the more it will cost. I AM worried that your $ estimates may not adequately adress taking care of this removed material in a manner that pleases you (i.e. spread out or placed attractively on your 5 acres vs. piled very close to the pond). Have you ever wanted your own hill for sledding in the Winter?

Anyway, since the pond will be excavated, a core trench all the way around it should prevent lateral water loss in any direction, including towards the house. If there is good clay throughout the entire basin (which you won't actually know 100% for sure until it is excavated), packing the bottom with clay would not IMHO be needed. Any leakage-prone areas encountered, like a vein of sand, gravel, or organic material, should be packed off with 2 feet of clay to prevent serious water loss.

Taking Young Blood's math and considering the water level problem, I have two questions:
1) Will the pump and dump be running 100% of the time?
2) What is a good figure for Iowa summertime evaporation loss? It might be higher than 1/4" (maybe up to 1/2"???). Some of the Iowa members like Matt Clark should have a good idea - better than a Texan or an Ahian.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]