You both raise excellent points, but let me throw theoretical stocking questions back, while mixing both of your responses.

First, I'm only going thru life once, and I'm already 48, so every extra $ goes toward my pond or wildlife on my property. My family gets their share, but luckily I have a little left over. I do not have an aerator in place, or a well for supplimental water, but I will. Let's assume they are there now, much like the water that isn't in "this" new pond. I plan to expand it to 2 acres in 2010, and 3+ 2012...the terrain and watershed should make this project a "go" in the long run...roughly 10K per acre for additions at today's prices.

If I remove LMB from the mix : What "if" I added crappie along with the CNBG/RES combination? Wouldn't I get good growth around the board? It should force the panfish size above the 3" gape of a HSB right? I really would like crappie as they are my favorite fish to eat, does their presence dictate that I must have cover...I'm thinking not if it's a put and take ordeal?

If LMB are in the mix, and they very well may enter due to upstream conditions, what damage really occurs if tilapia are annually a part of the food chain?

Just fyi...I love fishing and tossed 70+ LMB to the coons this spring in my small 1/3 acre pond, population control is something I should be able to manage "if" I see an unusual balance.